Have you ever found yourself rushing to the airport‚ only to realize that you forgot to check-in online and now you have to stand in a long line to do it at the airport? If so‚ you may have heard of early bird check-in‚ a service offered by some airlines that allows you to check-in for your flight ahead of time‚ either online or at a kiosk. But with the proliferation of mobile check-in and other convenient options‚ is early bird check-in still necessary?
What is Early Bird Check-in?
How Does Early Bird Check-in Work?
Online: Most airlines offer online check-in on their websites or through a mobile app. To check-in online‚ passengers will need to enter their reservation information and follow the prompts to select their seats and print their boarding pass. If you are unable to print your boarding pass‚ you can usually have it sent to your mobile device or have it available for pick-up at the airport.
Kiosk: Some airports also have kiosks available for early bird check-in. These kiosks are usually located near the check-in counters and can be used by passengers who prefer to check-in in person. To use the kiosk‚ passengers will need to enter their reservation information and follow the prompts to select their seats and print their boarding pass.
What are the Benefits of Early Bird Check-in?
– Save time at the airport: By checking-in ahead of time‚ you can skip the check-in lines at the airport and go straight to security.
– Get a better seat assignment: By checking-in early‚ you have a better chance of getting a seat assignment that you prefer‚ such as an aisle or window seat. Some airlines also allow passengers who check-in early to select their seats for free‚ while others charge a fee for this service.
– Avoid missing your flight: By checking-in early‚ you can ensure that you have a seat on the flight and avoid missing it due to overbooking or other issues.
Are There Any Downsides to Early Bird Check-in?
– Fee for seat selection: As mentioned above‚ some airlines charge a fee for advanced seat selection. This can be frustrating for passengers who are trying to save money on their flights.
– Limited availability: While early bird check-in can help you get a better seat assignment‚ it’s important to note that the best seats may already be taken by the time you check-in. This is especially true for popular routes or flights during peak travel times. If you have a specific seat preference‚ it’s a good idea to book as early as possible to increase your chances of getting the seat you want.
– Not available for all flights: Some airlines do not offer early bird check-in‚ or may only offer it for certain flights. It’s always a good idea to check with your airline to see if early bird check-in is available for your specific flight.